Wednesday, August 10

Writing, Mary Jane and Coffee

Serge: Hey


Mj: How's it going?

(silence)

Mj: You know it's never that bad.

(silence)

Mj: Have you tried to write about your memories in Lamu?
The beach parties, the house parties at Matata's or at Kofi's....

Serge: I've tried pretty much,everything
You remember Irene's story??

Mj: Yeah, the one on your from Lamu she's pressed, she stops the bus and all the men pretend they have to pee and all

Serge: That one

Mj: That would be a good story, especially, the part where she had to pay your fare, that was smooth..

Serge: Yeah, I tried to write about it and came with slightly over 500 words, I even tried to throw in some flashbacks to make it a little longer but still nada....

Mj: This is bad...

Serge: If you think that is bad, I got to a point where I was contemplating some really mushy stuff.......

(both laughing)

Serge: (still laughing)......I was...(tihihihihi)...contemplating poetry...

(both uncontrollably burst out with laughter)

Mj: Holy shit......(tihihihi)...this is some deep shit I tell you,

Serge: Scary shit I know

Mj: We gotta get you to get to write

(silence)

Mj: What happened with hypotheticals, where you break down these sayings and all, ''the wrath of the working class'' in (check post), the one about art.......you never posted that, why don't you try playing it with it a little and see what you come up with. There might be something there.

Serge: You think??

Mj: Yeah, plus it has a wide range, from music to fine art, to food, you can even throw in that line in that Denzel's movie Man on fire.

Serge: Yeah, where Denzel's friend says, ''A man can be an artist, in food....Creesy's art is death, and he's about to paint his masterpiece''

Mj: Makes art really cool, even death can be an art, ''An artist of death''

Serge: What do I know about art?

Mj: Pass the coffee

(i pass the coffee)

Mj: You can write how you view art, how a good painting makes you feel. Or good music, you know how you love old school music. You can write about old school music, how does old school music make you feel?

Serge: I don't know....what do you mean make me feel?

Mj: When you listen to old school music, how does the music make you feel?

Serge: I think it reminds me things, places....people...a good party, things like that.

Mj: Take like a specific song

Serge: Are we going anywhere with this? Coz I don't want you getting me all over exited for nothing.

Mj: Just go along with it, pick a random song, a song you like.

Serge: Can I pick an artist?

Mj: Yeah, wharever, just pick

Serge: Lucky Dube

Mj: Aha, now what makes you like his music.

Serge: It reminds me of the day my dad snuck out to attend Lucky Dube's concert

Mj: What do you mean sneak out? He's your dad, shouldn't he just say he's going to be late or something?

Serge: When around 11, we lived somewhere around Murang'a which meant that by 11:00, all pubs were closed and everyone was indoors. At his age, you wouldn't have expected him to even contemplate going to a reaggae concert which meant there was no point explaining it to anybody.......so he just went and explained it the following morning.

Mj: That's kinda short.

Serge: You know the problem with writing? Material.

Mj: What do you mean material?

Serge: When you start writing, you have a lot of material. Mostly, it's old material, you are just recycling but since it's a new crowd, it feels new because you are telling it to them for the first time. After a while, you realize your stories are dwindling real fast and as a stop gap measure, you try a couple of things, write a hypothetical, borrow a couple of points from different sources, patch them up and try to come with something worth the readres time....play with some ideas

Mj: I've seen that in one or two of yor posts....

Serge: When you start writing, you start with the best of them, but when you do that, you set a bar.

Mj: Now I get it

Serge: When you set a bar with the best of your material, anything below that is unacceptable. Problem is, after your first couple of posts, everything else in your treasure box becomes unacceptable.

Mj: Treasure box?

Serge: Yeah, I like giving it names, I thought of calling it treasure island, where you go dig for treasure and all, then I thought, nah...treasure box sounds better. I keep my scribblings, the thoughts that fly by, in my treasure box.

Mj: Empty treasure box......ironic

Serge: Yeah.

Mj: I hear they call it the writers block.

Serge: yeahh....

(silence)

Mj:So what y'all going to do

Serge: neeehh

Mj: Nothing?

Serge: Hey, if you got nothing, you got nothing.

(silence)

Serge: I was thinking about writing something about this girl.

Mj: Mushy stuff?

Serge: Hear me out for a minute....
Okay it's kinda mushy but sexy.......
She's one of those good girls, starry smile kind of girls.

Mj: R n B girls.

Serge: Yeah...
She likes old cars, 69 Impalas....

Mj: That's a girl, Impala a great car and as they say....''69 was a very good year''

Serge: I wanted to create like a scenareo where me and her would take a road trip to nowhere....

(silence)

Serge: We would sleep in small towns, eat local foods and drink their beer.

(silence)

Serge: Then it starten being all mushy, and you know I have an image to maintain. Am a bad boy..... I can't be seen out there being mushy and all...

Mj: Yeah, if they only knew

(both laughing)

Serge: Am sure I'll come up with something.

MJ: Yeah, not that anyone expects you to.

Serge: As in?

Mj: As in, who even reads your blog? What? two? Three people, they probably read it as an afterthought.

Serge: Yeah.....
But I think some people read but they don't comment.

Mj: It's cool, you need to believe people read your blog.

Serge: Something like that.

Mj: Something will crop up. Don't worry too much.......

Serge: Thanks, tomorrow...same time.

Mj: Sure, and bring coffee.

1 comment: