Tuesday, March 16

Schizophrenic alert

So many voices in my head, all at the same time. They all seem so important but the problem is when I start doing one thing that am thinking about, another voice decides to yell a lil louder than the first one and I find myself sidetracked to something else. The level of competition in my head is so high that sometimes they all talk at the same time that I have no clue what they are saying.

There was this one time I was about to sleep (this is going to make me sound insane), I jerk myself back awake saying "What? What did you say?", only to realize I am actually talking to a voice in my head.
See, initially, I had two; the one I considered normal me (natural response), and over think me. So I decided over think me is on death row when I get my hands on him. Am gon ice the devil outta that lil shit! I think he got wind of my lil plan and got himself some real heavy back up. Sometimes am terrified they will one day be like "why are you ignoring us?" Men I hope that day never comes.

I've being trying to get rid of them lately but the more I try, the more I end up thinking about them, hearing them. Sometimes it's weird coz the voices worry about things that I trully don't feel.
I met this girl, pretty nice and we are in the middle of a really nice conversation in Swahili (my Swahili has really improved) and the meeting in my head begins it session with the offious president who's all about breaking rules.
Johnie:"you know,even in the Bible,men never had platonic relationships with women. The're just sexual objects."
Jack:"the conversation is going pretty well right now, why spoil the fun."
Matt:"if you hit on her now,and then hit the wall real hard,she's gone. Act stupid and wait for an oportune moment to pounce."
Judy:(there's a woman in my head)"you peverts,let the woman effing be"
Then a fight broke out for at least five minutes coz the voices won't agree on one stupid issue. Should or should I not hit on this beautiful Swahili woman? Next thing I know, this chic is looking at me waiting for an answer on a question she had asked.

So I talked to Mary Jane about it later that night. The good thing about Mary Jane, she commands respect of the voices. They coil away when Mary Jane swings by. Mary Jane told me that the best way to deal with the voices is not to ignore them, suppress or try to get rid of them. I should take control of my head. One voice at a time. In case of disagreement,natural responce will listen to all the voices and pick one depending on the factors prevailing at the moment. But overthink me doesn't like the idea.

The problem is that overthink me, when we always compromise with him,he makes me creative and extroverted compared to normal me. If I don't listen to him, I lose the creativity. Mary Jane also thinks challenging these voices is also a good way of dealing with them. I talk back at them depending on the situation, be the one to make final decision. Get involved in the conversation but be in control. If I want them to go away,I tell them like "am reading a book,I'll talk to you later" or something like that. It's however advisable to do it in your head although if they really piss you off,you can scream at them out loud.
What I realised is that these voices are real. They are representatives of what we feel about ourselves, both negatively and positively and there should be no cause to fear them. Don't let them have the power over you or threaten you.

Now they bother me a lot less and when they do, am in control of the conversation. I'll still talk to them out loud if I feel like, even in the bus or in the streets although its preferable to do it behind closed doors.
I've learnt that my voices are not the problem but my relationship with them is important. Facing them and working with them has changed my life for the better and made me feel optimistic about life.

6 comments:

  1. Kinda happens to me too

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know ur nt alone. Tht being said, Serg I suggest we start an anonymous group (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlene, always wanted to start one but the whole introducing yourself and coming out of the closet thing scares the shit out of me

    ReplyDelete
  4. This defenitely "resonates" with me. In fact, all of my voices agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And their voices as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Passalis, do you have the whole gender equality thing with the voices? Like a third soprano??

    ReplyDelete