Sunday, January 16

Truths or something


I don’t believe that bullshit, the worst lies are the ones we tell ourselves. It’s not possible to lie to yourself since for one to lie; you have to know the truth. It’s more of choosing some truths and omitting others for our own benefit, which I believe is a good thing. I lie to myself too, every once in a while to make me feel better. For the sake of acceptability, or rather unavailability of a better phrase, we shall call it lying to ourselves


In 1988, two psychologists published an article arguing that positive self deception is a normal part of our lives. It turns out that people lie to themselves about three things. They view themselves in impulsively positive ways, they think they have way more control over their lives than they actually do and they believe that the future will be better than the evidence of the present can possibly justify. To keep these little lies going, we need to cover them with other little lies, and some more little lies and the sad part is we don’t even realize we are doing it.

What’s wrong with this scene? Nothing really, considering how unpleasant the truth can be. We’ve being told that the truth will set you free, but between freedom and the courage to look myself in the mirror every morning, I’ll definitely choose the latter. The truth could be, you are just a pawn in someone’s game meaning no control over whatever happens to you, you will die a drunk poor homeless man with kids who don’t respect or even talk to you, everyone who you actually do like thinks you are a nuisance and your absence would make them happier. Am not trying to bust your bubble but if the truth is anywhere along those lines, would you like to know? I know I wouldn’t. But God was kind enough to give us a way to live with ourselves. It may not be something that will make you feel better by knowing but it will help you live long enough to entertain him. This maybe an opinion of one, but I think we were created purposely for his entertainment. Our lives are an episode in his long running series, Earth. Your character is dependent on how interesting you are, and as soon as you bore him, you’re fired. If however, we knew ourselves better, quitting might become a norm, no director would like that.

The war of truth versus the lies then. We are a lying piece of shit and we have accepted that since creation, why would we want to change now? Changing is not in my plans anytime soon and I’ll tell you why, I can’t function without telling a few lies every day (am not apologizing). It may sound like a bad thing but that’s just what makes me human, and anyone who doesn’t lie or at least a few omissions in truths for his or someone’s benefit is either insane or very, very miserable. I don’t think that’s an ideal way to live which brings me to the point am trying to make. For one to be human, you have to learn when to ration the truth and when to lie blatantly. Otherwise, you shall end up quitting before the interesting scene in your episode is shot.

Hi people.

2 comments:

  1. That's one way of putting it, but it is also possible that we just have faith in Allah

    Hi

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has a pretty nice entertainment source, with stuff I've seen in crackhouses, strip clubs and sin cities, DAMN!! I wanna be more interesting before I get fired

    ReplyDelete